Friday, March 16, 2007

Are we misleading patients and the public?


Should we assume that any hospital that is expert at clearing out coronary arteries would also serve food that helps maintain low cholesterol levels?

The North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System in Great Neck, N.Y. is setting a precedent in their area by banning artery-clogging trans fats from all foods served at its facilities. This ban follows a similar ban at Montefiore Medical Center along with a citywide ban for restaurants that was approved by the New York City Board of Health.

The question arises as to if a healthcare organization has an obligation to serve healthy foods since they feed thousands of individuals daily including patients, employees, and visitors.

The Food and Drug Administration probably instigated these changes when it began requiring the listing of trans fats on food labels in January 2006.

Consumers became much more aware about the amount of trans fats in our diets as well as the link to high cholesterol.

How far do we go to get people to choose better? Many hospitals like Kosairs have a McDonalds in their lobby. Many others have unhealthy restaurants very close or on their campuses.

Does this imply the hospital is endorsing these places or should patients be responsible for their own decisions?

You can bet there will be a few lawsuits related to this issue.

Are we giving two different messages by being in the healthcare profession, promoting health and saying obesity is a huge medical problem, and then serving unhealthy food or allowing these restaurants on our campuses?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger lawguy said...

Any lawyer that decides to sue a hospital because of a fatty fast food restaurant in the lobby really doesnt have enough to do, and probably for good reason. I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Besides, there is usually plenty of better legal work related to what's going on at the hospital upstairs in the wards. Ha ha ha.

Just kidding. Sort of...

3/16/2007 04:25:00 PM  
Blogger G Coyle said...

I've worked for a couple of companies that maintained a kitchen and served meals, at company expense. Serving "healthy" food gave those companies a competitive advantage. Healthy eating supports clear minds and enhances productivity. Would you want you heart surgeon to have just downed a big Mac and fries, or a salad, before your triple by-pass? I think the hospital should set an example ala banning smoking.

3/16/2007 08:17:00 PM  
Blogger lawguy said...

I think the issue of banning smoking and controling what foods are served are different issues.

If you want to eat a big mac, it doesnt effect my health, unlike the effect of second hand smoke. Banning smoking isnt done just for the health of the smokers - its done for the health of those around them.

I dont care what my surgeon eats before cracking my chest - I just want her to feel as good as possible and be focused on the task at hand. Her own cholesterol level is a personal issue for her. When an employer beings regulating what employees eat, I think the Big Brother effect has gone too far.

3/16/2007 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger G Coyle said...

I agree Lawguy. I wasn't clear in my response. Adults should make their own food choices, I would never subscribe to a "big brother" approach to eating, nor smoking even. My point is simply that where people have the OPTION of healthy eating, a real benefit is available, like health insurance you could say. And, who better to set a good example than a health care company?

3/17/2007 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Christopher D said...

Lawguy,
But would it not be true that 300 million people choking down double quarter pounders with a side order of myocardial infarction effect how much you pay in your insuarnce premiums, or for the premiums that are paid for employees health insurance?
Not trying to be smart, all though I think any way I asked that it would appear to be that way.

3/17/2007 09:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of a lawyer who doesn't have enough to do...lawguy sure spends a lot of time on this blog.

3/18/2007 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger lawguy said...

csd619 - you raise a very good point - i'm sure there is some sort of correlation there. however, i'm more concerned about the effects of the multi-million dollar bonuses & incentives given to my health insurance CEO's than whether some of my fellow insureds chose an unhealthy diet.

And anony - you really shouldnt worry about whether I have enough to do or how & where I chose to spend my free time. I'm doing quite fine, if you're truly worried. I think ANYONE who pays taxes and lives in Floyd County ought to peruse this blog on a regular basis...regardless of what you do for a living.

3/19/2007 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Christopher D said...

Lawguy,
We are in total agreement there. Trust me, in a country as wealthy as ours there should be no way that I could make a living doing what I do for the medically indigent while CEO'S of insurance companies get bonuses larger than the average american joe could earn in a lifetime.

3/19/2007 08:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home