Thursday, May 04, 2006

Hospital Smoking Ban

Floyd Memorial Hospital like most others in the area is going smoke-free. The date at Floyd is July 1, 2006.

The policy has caused lots of discussion, policy changes, frustration and discontent. Many smokers feel their rights are being violated and others are ecstatic for the stance. The overall reaction is much the same as you see in every other venue.

The hospital has sent out a “Tobacco-Free Policy Feedback Form” that employees can complete and turn in anonymously about their feelings. It is typical that this form is being sent out after the policy and the date has already been decided. Responses from the form may allow employees to vent, but it is doubtful that any policy change will occur because of them.

Responses have included some apparent hypocrisy in hospital support of certain behaviors while choosing to oppose others like smoking. Questions arise whether smoking is any worse than alcohol or obesity when it comes to health. Responses on the forms have asked why alcohol is readily served at hospital functions, why weight and certain foods are allowed and encouraged when smoking is being targeted. Employees and others have certainly seen some in administration over-imbibe on a few previous Hospital supported events. Is this healthy or setting an example worthy of respect?

Rumors are circulating that employees may be fired if they leave the hospital grounds on their breaks. They may be fired for abandoning patients. Some have been told they cannot smoke in their cars even though this is considered private property.

Implementation of this policy should be better explained and administration should attempt to define what is acceptable or prohibited so there is better understanding and acceptance with the employees.

As a physician, I wish everyone would quit smoking but I certainly understand the intricacies involved in this corporate decision. I also see the hypocrisy in some of the examples that have been given.


Forecast for FLOYDS KNOBS, IN (on a scale of 1-12):
Today's allergy levels: Thursday - 8.5/High
Today's predominant pollen:Oak, Mulberry and Grass.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The smoking ban is little more than a public relations ploy by the group of hospitals involved with this. As you have said, the hospital encourages alcohol use and drunk drivng by providing alcohol at physicians meetings, and employee banquets. It is all a matter of what is politically correct at the moment. Admittedly smoking is killing thousands of people daily, but I have never been involved in a car accident with someone due to their smoking but have been in an accident caused by an intoxicated driver.

5/05/2006 08:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous about the encouragemnet of drinking by the medical profession and thoughout the world, too. It amazes me to watch a Sunday, NASCAR race and see the commerical time devoted to beer. Beer is sold and drink in abundance by the fans during the entire 3+ hour race. After drinking for 3+ hours, these same people get in their cars and drive off.

Alcohol is not my vice. I am a smoker. I smoke cigarettes every day. I have for the past 30 years. Does this sound like the lead in line at an AA meeting? If I want to kill myself by smoking, that is my right, although there are those who say I am killing them from my "side-stream" smoke. What about the accident that killed a bus load of children in Cincinnati some years back. Was it caused by drink? No,I am quite sure it was caused by the driver who took his eyes off the road to put out his cigarette in the ashtray. Alcohol drinkers will never be treated as cigarette smokers. Why, because too many people in Congress (doctors too) are hooked on "booze". Did you know some alcoholics actually get disability checks from "Your" government for this self-inflicted "disease"? My smoking is self-inflicted, where's my check? Well, I guess it's not a "disease".

An added note.... My cousin delivered a baby at FMH some 15 years ago by a doctor(her doctor was out of town)that smelled of marijuana. Wonder what he's into now? Anyone for drug testing or sobriety testing? Put that in your pipe and smoke it FMH or better yet, put that in your bottle and drink it.

If the doctor needs me, I will be in my car smoking. I sure hope the smoke doesn't drift back into the hoptial and make someone sick. Look out! here come the "CIGARETTE COPS".

5/17/2006 09:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home