Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Street Names

Over the weekend I heard about Alice Lloyd College in Kentucky.

Alice Lloyd College is named for its founder, Alice Spencer Geddes Lloyd. She came to the mountains of Eastern Kentucky from her native Boston. In the early part of her career, she was a writer for local newspapers and periodicals. In 1902, Miss Geddes became publisher and editor of The Cambridge Press that was the first publication in America with an all-female staff. She developed a work study program for students and to this day, most students leave this college with no student loan debt.

What are more interesting are the names of the streets within the campus community. They were named to reflect the traits that Lloyd demonstrated in her life and what the college strives to instill into the students.

Character Drive
Courage Street
Purpose Road
Integrity Lane
Action Lane
Faith Avenue

It got me thinking of how streets might be named in our city and county based on what we do in our lives.

Corruption Central
Cowardice Court
Neglect and Avoidance Streets
Dishonest Avenue
Lazy Lane
Skepticism and Sarcastic Streets

Although my streets are probably not as admirable as hers and hopefully not like the ones above, I do strive to do better.

My hope is that others in our community will also consider how their streets would be named.

Character does matter!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

Agreed; character does matter.

In a free and pluralistic society, the accepted definition of "character" simply isn't as simple.

Honesty is a component of good character. Are the qualities that define honesty valid in and of themselves, or do they require a supernatural sanction?

How are they valid, and which God?

Obviously, then, what must be accepted is the freedom to discuss issues like these. We have it here in America to some degree, although not to the extent that we like to believe, and with quite a few caveats.

I'd change the name of my street to Existential Boulevard, and restore two-way traffic ...

11/01/2005 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger The New Albanian said...

And ceece & hubby are two of the busy ones ...

11/01/2005 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy you can sure open a can of worms.

I agree with ceece that we do usually only see a biased side from our media. We do have lots of very good people in and around us who strive to make things better. You named several and I could add dozens more to the list. It is unfortunate that these things don’t seem to sell newspapers and TV spots.

I am very glad ceece feels our city would be characterized by these more positive comments. I also tend to agree.

As far as character and honesty and many other terms, most are relative as you said and not valid in and of themselves. They require a standard to measure them against. So the real question is what is the standard? Where does it come from? How is it measured? And who measures it?

As you know, I am a Christian with very strong beliefs. I acknowledge and have no problems with other belief systems and certainly do not want to sound judgmental. I do however believe that there is more to life than what we see, hear, taste, touch, and feel and there is something more after death.

You also know I strongly believe in personal choice and responsibility and that includes religious choices. Each individual needs to choose their belief system and accept the ultimate consequence for their choice. I personally believe that there is only one way to heaven.

If believing and having faith in Jesus is what I believe gets me to heaven, and in the end I am wrong, I have nothing to lose. But if I don’t believe and have faith in Jesus, and that is what is necessary for salvation, I will have everything to lose.

For Christians, we believe we are saved by God’s Grace through our faith in Jesus and for our good works on earth. Christianity is unique in it is the only religion that salvation occurs without requiring works.

11/01/2005 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger The New Albanian said...

Brandon, yours could be Creative Court.

11/01/2005 07:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home