Friday, September 22, 2006

New treatment for rodents



Colorado has recently made it legal to blow up prairie dogs. In the past, landowners have been allowed to shoot at, poison, drown, and even vacuum up prairie dogs in an attempt to keep the pests from ruining crops, but now with clearance the official sanction of the Colorado Wildlife Commission, angry farmers can go all out on the burrowing rodents.

Innovative businessmen have developed systems like the Rodenator Pro costing $1,900. It uses the ignition of gases to collapse prairie dog tunnels. One farmer said "I'm tickled pink; I've got prairie dogs so thick I can't see straight. . . . Ever see that Star Trek episode, 'The Trouble with Tribbles'? It's like that. They are born pregnant."

I am sure we will be hearing from PETA very soon!

3 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

What a week for the health blogger; straw men being erected faster than Dick Cheney can say "Saddam and Osama were seen sipping coffee together!!!," and being ripped to shreds just as quickly.

9/23/2006 09:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always in favor of vacuuming them up and relocating them. I guess in some cases more drastic measures are necessary, but I'm not sure about explosives in the hands of just any ol' farmer. Gotta think about that one a bit.

I do, however, feel a bit sorry for the little varmints. We humans have encroached on their habitats, which is why I am in favor of the vacuumming and removal method. I do understand the farmer's points of view too, but I do think some get a bit too overzealous, with emphasis on SOME...not all.

9/23/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just trying to keep people thinking.

9/25/2006 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home