Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Loving Care

Here is an excellent article on what health care should strive for.
[Delivering 'loving care']

The article is certainly direct and to the point about how current CEO’s and hospitals have lost their focus on what is important in delivering healthcare. The article comments; "In hospitals, technology and business have become monstrous gods crushing first-line workers and converting them, in the eyes of many leaders, into automatons or units of expense," he writes in Sacred Work. He cites the results of a survey by the American College of Healthcare Executives, as reported in this magazine (Jan. 9, p. 8). Hospital CEOs overwhelmingly (67%) stated that "financial challenges" were their No. 1 worry, while "quality" ranked fifth (23%) and "patient safety" sixth (20%). "The mission of `loving care' for patients did not make the list at all.

In addition, the article refers to an author/lawyer/CEO by the name of Chapman who feels that most hospitals have fallen into a rut. With tongue in cheek, he suggests that most hospitals should replace their mission statement with these lines or something akin to: "Welcome to St. General's Hospital. Got a problem? We'll take our best shot at fixing it. You can stay in one of our rooms at a nightly rate higher than any hotel in the country. Note: There may be a stranger in the room with you, and we are not responsible for any noises he or she might make. We will decide what you wear to bed. Note: Don't even think about wearing your own pajamas. Do expect to lie on a stretcher for a long time in a long hallway half-naked. Enjoy the fluorescent ceiling lights. We expect to get paid as much as we can for what we do to you. If we make a mistake, we'll try again -- and we'll charge you again, too. If you're unhappy, talk to our customer relations people in the basement. Although they may have no power, authority, or medical training, they will probably smile. Alternatively, you can sue us. Have a nice day and night."

We cannot provide loving care when we are continually short-staffed and have our nurses, techs and aides continually stressed, overworked and having to worry too much about paperwork and administrative garbage.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same goes for Doctors. Do they provide loving care, that is my first course of action when I am ill, is to make an appointment with my Physician. How many minutes does your office staff allow for you to spend with a patient. I am sorry to say a Physcians care is not what it used to be either. I would venture a guess that the Dollar is a top priority in your office also. I am beginning to think that you can't see the forest for the trees. It is always easier to see others faults rather than looking in the mirror. I know that sounds harsh, but I am sure you understand why someone gets that impression.

8/23/2006 03:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do understand, and I would hope that judgement comes from a personal experience and not based on assumptions.

Comments I make on the blog are based on direct one on one interactions with those I am critical of. It is from direct experience and observation; not heresay, gossip, or perception.

I have hundreds of cards, notes etc from patients who think I provide loving care. Will I make everyone happy, of course not, but I think my reputation in the community and with patients speaks for itself.

In addition, I still make house calls and nursing home visits when needed and enjoy doing it. And yes, I too have accepted pork from a pig farmer, fence work, construction work and other things for payment in patients without insurance. They are happy and it helps me as well.

8/23/2006 05:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr.Dan has a wonderful bedside manner.If his patients need to go to the toilet or be pulled up in bed,he helps out. 99% of doctors would go to the nurses station and yell for the nurse to go do it.I wish all doctors had bedside manners but I guess they don't teach that in med school.

8/23/2006 06:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Dan doesn't need to look in the mirror. He's the greatest.

8/24/2006 06:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I was speaking from experience and I never base anything on assumptions. I don't indulge in gossip, and at times don't rely on observation, because even though you see something, you rely on your own interpretation unless you know all the facts.

8/24/2006 11:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home