Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hospital Board

Four years ago, two County Commissioners showed up in my office and asked me if I would consider serving as a Board member to the hospital. I had never sought the position or voiced an interest in the position.

But because of my reputation for being an advocate of patient care and employee concerns, and an outspoken critic of the current hospital administration along with my involvement in many committees at the hospital, they felt I would aggressively and actively deal with the issues and help improve the perception of the hospital.

They were tired of appointing Board members that were “yes men” to the CEO. They knew that I was known for “conflict resolutions, rather than conflict avoidance”. They also knew the vast majority of employees and community leaders trusted me. There was little trust in the administration and trust has been an ongoing problem as was shown in surveys and strategic planning sessions conducted by outside consultant firms.

I made it very clear to the Commissioners that my serving would be under no conditions other than what was best for patient care and the hospital. My primary responsibility was for the well-being of my patients and I knew there were many problems that needed to be addressed. Addressing these problems would cause a lot of conflict and a lot of tension. I made it clear that if we started down this path, things would get heated. In my opinion, there needed to be a major paradigm shift in how the hospital was managed and the relationship with the physicians. I was not confident that the future success of the hospital could be sustained unless this shift took place.

The commissioners had a few key issues they wanted accomplished initially and those included the following:
(1) assurance the hospital would not be sold to any organization and that it remain a county-owned facility
(2) that employee morale and satisfaction be addressed and improved because it was perceived to be at an all-time low
(3) that more money from the hospital would be directed toward funding of the county owned ambulance service through the fire department
(4) That better open communication be established with the hospital and the county.
(5) Lastly, the issue was the concern that there needed to be leadership change

When the CEO got initial word they were considering me as one of the two appointments, he immediately started behind the scenes tactics to prevent the appointment. One example of things he did was to meet with a group of physicians called the Past Chiefs of Staff. He led them to believe that the commissioners were considering appointing an elderly chiropractor or another local physician and he convinced them to draft a letter to the commissioners in support of the one local physician. He intentionally withheld the information that I was being considered. When they later found out I was also on the slate of candidates and that he intentionally withheld that information, many were angry. One actually resigned from this committee.

There are numerous other examples of mistruths, or misrepresentations done to subvert the appointment. Needless to say, I was appointed and it has been a very tumultuous four years. During this past year when we finally had a majority of open-minded board members willing to do what was right, we have accomplished a lot. In fact, in my opinion, there has been more accountability in this one year than all the others combined.

But due to the fact that I confronted two of the Commissioners (Chuck Freiberger and John Reisert) last year because of their meddling and interference into our election process, I sealed my fate on re-appointment. Freiberger made it very clear to many people that he was offended by my phone call confronting him personally on the issue. Sure, he denied actually threatening our board member if he voted a certain way, but it was very plain on what was expected of this board member. This type of political manipulation is all too common and needs to cease. Doing what is right is not always politically correct.

As this blog is being written, I am told that the CEO is meeting and talking individually with certain Board members he has in his pocket, manipulating the chairmanship vote for 2006. He would prefer Mr. Kleehammer regain chairmanship over the current chairman Mr. Marshall. Again, accountability and his ability to manipulate agendas is too important to allow another year like he had in 2005.

Serving on the Board consisted of countless hours of reviewing data, reading reports, listening to speakers, attending 4-6 hour board meetings, attending conferences, strategic planning sessions, and other hospital functions. On top of this, I continually held people accountable for their decisions leading to continual conflict. The pay was $300/month. I had to alter my office schedule and lost, on the average, 5 hours out of my office evaluating patients each of these months. This meant that I was actually paying to serve on the board. I also lost these hours with my family.

In the end, I look back and know that my serving has significantly changed the structure and accountability of the CEO and Board. We made significant advances and had made significant strides in changing the direction of the hospital.

It is disappointing to know that within a few more years, and future reappointments, these accomplishments could be reversed. Commissioners like Freiberger who have their “egos get in the way of their better judgment” are doing a disservice to our community!!

Over the next few days, I will give examples of some of the accountability issues that these two commissioners should be held responsible because of their poor judgment.

2 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

Keep going.

1/10/2006 10:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Dan, although I dont usually agree with your political viewpoints, I can assure you that you will be missed on the hospital board. Finally someone who truly cared about employee morale (which is currently in the toilet) and what was best for the patients and not managements back pocket. Your nemesis is a powerful little man that nearly everyone feels is in it for his own power and egomaniacal satisfaction. Politics in New Albany and Floyd County is truly a joke, with some of the most ignorant and unqualified people in office that could imagine, therefore Floyd County will always remain behind the eight ball. Thanks for your service, and listening to the employees, that is what cost you your position.

1/11/2006 12:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home